Adding an external tablet keyboard to any tablet certainly improves speed and productivity.
It actually makes sense if you've to do a bit more heavy stuff on your tablet, like mailing something important or typing a long text.
Either you can add a wired keyboard with a USB OTG adapter, or add a wireless keyboard.
The second option is much more convenient, as you don't have to manage the cables or connect the OTG every time you want to use it. However bluetooth keyboard for tablet is not the only way, use can also use other wireless keyboards with OTG, if there's a free USB port.
What should you consider before choosing a product?
As there's an internal bluetoth adapter on almost every tablet, it's better to use a bluetooth keyboard to avoid unnecessary wires and dongles.
But the real challenge is to pick the right bluetooth tablet keyboard.
The market is overwhelmed with various products, many from reputable brands. Hence creates a lot of confusion.
Here's few point you should keep in mind before buying anything.
- Key layout and key spacing- If typing experience is not good, then nothing else matter. I personally prefer to use keyboards with well spaced keys, however this may vary person to person. Some may prefer to use mechanical keyboards, some prefer chiclet style keys.
- Bluetooth version - That's really important. If your device is Bluetooth 2.0 or 3.0, and you got a Bluetooth 4.0 keyboard, it won't work. Bluetooth 4.0 is also called Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE) or Bluetooth Smart. It's about twice power efficient, but unfortunately not backward compatible with the previous generations of Bluetooth. So, selecting the keybaord with proper bluetooth vesrion is important.
- Multi Device - You can connect up to 3 different device(not simultaneously) with a multi device keyboard. These keyboards are designed to work seamlessly on Android, iOS , Windows and Linux. So a multi device bluetooth keyboard for tablet is better option.
- Size and weight - Size is a decisive factor. It makes no sense if the keyboard is absurdly bigger than the tablet itself. Also no one would like to carry around a heavy keyboard just for typing.
- Noise - If you prefer a quite environment while typing, then you should consider this too. The noise from keyboards could be irritating for some.
- Battery Life - Any wireless technology sucks the battery fast, including bluetooth. A BLE keyboard is better in terms of battery life. However BLE is not the right choice always.
Working range is not that important here, as you'll be using the keyboard pretty close to your tablet. Almost every keyboard has a descent range of 10 meter, roughly 33 ft, which is far more than enough.
Of course build quality is another important factor. But you should not expect mechanical keys from a cheap keyboard.
Best tablet keyboard
By considering the previous points, you can easily short out that bluetooth is the most viable option to connect an external keyboard to a tablet.
So, here's the list of bluetooth keyboard for tablet to make the selection process easier.
A descent product from Logitech, works with any iOS, Windows and Android device.
And of course, you don't have to worry about it's quality.
- Dimensions- 12 x 5.7 x 1.3 inches
- Logitech Easy-Switch Bluetooth technology: Press one button to instantly switch between typing on your PC, tablet and smartphone
- Sharp, bright backlit keys: Automatic backlight adjustment.
- Compact and ultra-thin with a real brushed aluminum finish and sleek low-profile keys.
- Works seamlessly with almost any Bluetooth capable PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- Compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows RT , iPhone or iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd and 4th generation), iPad mini with iOS 4.0, Android 3.0 or later.
- Unique Logitech keycap design, chiclets style keyboard. Enjoy comfortable, whisper typing.
- Rechargeable battery, charge it with any micro USB charging cable. Lasts for minimum 10 days of extensive use on a single charge.
- Roughly 30 ft, 9 meter range. The fast, reliable connection allows you to move and type on the keyboard anywhere within the range.
Though it's a bit larger, bu the well spaced keys are definitely helpful while typing a long text.
So, if you need a backlit keyboard with descent build quality and rechargeable battery from a reputable brand, than undoubtedly it's the best keyboard for tablet.
The second product of this list is from Arteck. This reasonably priced keyboard tops the list with a sturdy brushed metal build, chiclet style keys and multi colored backlight.
It has all the qualities of a good wireless keyboard, not too big, not too heavy and sturdy build quality. Just perfect for typing text.
The keyboard backlight is something out of the world at this price range. Currently no other manufacturer is offering a backlit keyboard at such cheap price.
- Size- It measures just 9.7" x 5.9", (24.6cm x 14.9cm), and around 0.25" high.
- Weight - It's about 0.37lb, roughly 168 gram.
- 7 Unique Backlight Color: 7 Elegant LED backlight with 2 brightness level and auto sleep feature to maximize power usage.
- Use with all four major operating systems supporting Bluetooth. Windows, iOS, Android and mac OS, including iPad, iPhone, Android Tablets.
- 6-Month Battery Life: Rechargeable lithium battery, lasts for 6 months between charges (based on 2 hours non-stop use per day and backlight off)
There's no case or cover with this tablet keyboard. However you can purchase a descent cover+stand at reasonable price.
The price range is the real beauty of this product, at around 20 US $, you can't get a better keyboard for tablet.
Another quality product from Arteck, with a slim and rugged stainless steel body.
It's a multi device keyboard, supports almost every recent Windows, mac OS, Android and iOS devices seamlessly.
Like the previous items of this list, this keyboard also has a rechargeable Lithium ion battery. So you could expect a descent usage time, roughly 3-4 months of battery life on a single charge.
- Size and Weight: Compact size 11.1 x 5.3 x 0.16" and light weight, around 290 g, (10.2oz).
- Compatibility: Use with all four major operating systems supporting Bluetooth iOS, Android, Mac OS and Window.
- Design: Stainless steel material gives heavy duty feeling, low-profile keys offer quiet and comfortable typing.
- Battery Life: Rechargeable lithium battery with an industry-high capacity lasts for 6 months with single charge.(2 hours per day)
- Package contents: Arteck Stainless Bluetooth Keyboard, USB charging cable, user guide manual.
So, if you're looking for a generic tablet keyboard also to use with your smartphone, this could be a good choice. However there's no option to use this a dock. You need to buy a separate docking stand for your tablet.
This foldable universal keyboard from Microsoft is designed to work with almost every tablet including Android devices and Apple products.
The slick and clutter free design is perfect for typing, matte black minimalist keyboard looks absolutely stunning.
- Length: 9.53" / 242mm, Width: 4.29" / 109mm, Depth: 0.47" / 12mm
- Rechargeable battery: The built-in rechargeable battery provides up to three months of usage on a single charge.
- Spill-resistant design: Water repellent keys and fabric, that helps protect against accidents.
- Bluetooth Smart: Clutter-free and reliable experience utilizing the latest in Bluetooth 4.0 technology, consuming less power.
- Easy on/Easy off: Open the keyboard to connect to your tablet or smartphone. Simply close the keyboard to shut it down.
- Full-size keyset: The full-size keys provides fast, accurate typing.
Note: As it supports only Bluetooth 4.0, a.k.a Bluetooth Smart, keep in mind that this keyboard may not be compatible with your old table or laptop. Check the supported Bluetooth version of your device before buying this.
So, overall this keyboard is great if your're looking for a minimalist and easy to carry keyboard.
No doubt that it's a great keyboard for tablets, however the price could be a little less. I won't say that it's an absolutely value for money product.
This durable keyboard from Jelly Comb is perfect if you're looking for a tablet keyboard with track pad.
The aircraft grade aluminium body makes it very durable use, and the chicklet style keys makes it easy to type.
- Product dimension: 11.89 x 3.82 x 0.31 inch
- Touchpad demension: 2.16 x 1.76 inch
- Keyboard weight: Roughly around 200 g
- Keyboard layout: 63 keys
- Bluetooth Range: 10 meters, up to 33feet
- Battery: 140 mAH Li-Ion battery, up to 48 hours of continuous usage time from a single charge.
- Sleep time: Sleeps after 10 min, press any key to wake it up.
Of course this keyboard is compatible with all major operating systems including Windows, Android, iOS and Linux.
However it's explicitly mentioned that it doesn't work with compute sticks, like Intel compute stick, or other Stick PCs. It's also worth to mention that the touch pad is also not supported on iOS devices.
So, you can buy it if you need a foldable table keyboard, easy to carry keyboard with a touchpad and durable metallic construction.
This product from Logitech is specially for Apple products, including any iOS device, iPad, Macbook and Apple TV.
The slim design with well spaced chicklet style keys makes typing experience breeze. Available in three different color, black, bright red and blue.
The durable and spill resistance fabric makes it very convenient to use on daily basis. It won't catch much dust or dirt easily.
- Product dimension: 5.4 x 9.5 x 0.2 inches, weight: 6.2 oz, around 182 gram.
- Durable and spill-resistant: Wipe able Fabric Skin protects the keyboard from spills, dirt and drops.
- Ultra-portable wireless keyboard for all iOS devices including iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and more.
- Design: Well-spaced, full-size keys with iOS shortcuts for fast, familiar, accurate typing on iPad.
- Battery: Long-life rechargeable Lithium battery. Type for up to 3 months between charges (Based on 2 hours average usage per day).
- Setup: Pairs quickly and easily with iPad via Bluetooth connection.
Please note that this is not a multi device keyboard, simply that means you can't switch between multiple devices that easily.
So, it's a perfect product for anyone with mostly apple products, this single wireless tablet keyboard could handle all the devices.
One of the best wireless tablet keyboard from Microsoft.
If you're a Microsoft Surface Pro or tablet owner, you're totally gonna love this.
- Product Dimentions: 10.1 x 4 x 0.82 inches.
- Device support: All tablets and laptops running Windows 8 and above. It includes Windows Mobile and Windows RT. Android and iOS devices are also supported, but with limited functionalities.
- Multi-purpose cover powers down device and converts into a tablet stand.
- Windows shortcut keys and Windows Start key
- Keys: Light-touch keys for easy typing, Media keys for music and video control.
- Battery: Runs on two AA cells, includes a battery status indicator.
The metal encased hard plastic body is quite durable. Another noticeable feature is it's elevated front feet, improves typing experience quite a bit.
No doubt that it's the best keyboard you could have if you're primarily a Microsoft product user. As stated before, it also could be used with Android devices as well. So it makes a sense to buy this awesome product from a reputable brand.
This is another cheap rebranded keyboard with backlight and durable plastic shell. Despite it's aggressively cheap pricing, it works surprisingly well.
- Product dimension: 7.17 x 9.76 x 0.63 inch, and weight is around 0.38lb, 172 gram.
- Design: 7 Unique Backlight Color, with 2 brightness level and auto sleep feature to maximize power usage.
- Device Compatibility: Use with all four major operating systems supporting Bluetooth, and all major operating systems including iOS, Android, Mac OS and Windows.
- Battery Life: Rechargeable lithium battery, lasts for 120 days between charges, based on 2 hours non-stop use per day and backlit off.
Definitely it's not the best, you could easily say it's very much identical to the Arteck's product, which is second on this this list.
But it's one of the most affordable bluetooth tablet keyboard for android devices with backlight and a good enough plastic construction.
Looks exactly same as two previous keyboards from Arteck and iClever. It doesn't have the keyboard backlight, but there's a foldable case + stand included in the package.
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 5.3 x 0.2 inches, weight 8 ounces, around 227 gram.
- Device and OS support: Compatible with iOS, Android and Windows, including all Android tablets, Windows tablets, Surface tablet and most iPads.
- Keys: Chiclet keys, type quietly and effortlessly. It provides a very comfortable and wonderful typing experience.
- Battery: 200 mAH rechargeable Lithium battery. Last over 60 days, based on two hours use per day, automatically goes to sleep if 15 minutes without typing.
- Keyboard Cover: The decent leather cover offers perfect protection for your keyboard. It can also be folded and used as a smart stand for your iPad, tablet and smart phone.
So, if keyboard backlight is not the priority, this tablet keyboard could be a good replacement for the Arteck keyboard, and the cover at no additional cost.
This tablet keyboard from Logitech could be a good choice if you need a quality product from a reputable brand.
- Product Dimensions: 12.3 x 5.6 x 1.2 inches, weight- around 1 pound. Compact, low-profile keyboard: For easy, comfortable typing wherever you use your Windows 8 or Android 3.0+ tablet
- Device support: Supports Windows 8 and above, all Android 3.0 and above is also supported. Pair easily over Bluetooth, Keys help you navigate Windows 8, including a Start key, App Switching key and more.
- Carrying case-and-stand combo: Protects the keyboard when you're on the go and converts into a versatile, adjustable sturdy stand for your tablet. Use your tablet in the landscape or portrait position at just the right viewing angle.
- Wireless range: The keyboard pairs easily with your tablet over Bluetooth wireless up to 30 ft, ~9 meter.
- Media control keys: Instantly control your music and videos with play, pause and volume keys at your fingertips.
This keyboard could be a good choice if you're looking for a bluetooth keyboard for tablet with a carrying case. As the key's are well spaced, typing experience with this keyboard should be good enough.
I hope this list makes sense, it will help to choose your tablet keyboard according to your budget.
I've researched around 30 best seller products to prepare this list. All of the product listed here justifies their respective price range and features.
If you've any better product in your mint, please let us know, we'll consider including it after a through review.